Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A Tour of the Harry Potter Park on PhotoPeach



I used PhotoPeach Slideshare and photos from my own Mac Iphoto to make a slideshow of my trip to the Harry Potter Park last year. When I went to the park it had only been open for 63 days!! In the slideshow the text portrays the speaker as a tour guide for the park. I thought my slideshow would be useful for my teaching because, I could use it in two ways. One way I could use the slideshow is as a treat to my students, like if they are good then I will show them my slideshow of a trip their teacher took once. Or I could make a lesson using a digital slideshow, where I first show my slideshow, and then tell my students that I want them to pick an event, trip, or place they have been to and make a slideshow using pictures from their personal database. The students would become “tour guides” to their personal event, trip, or place, and will explain or give tips in every slide as to what there is to do in the destination they have chosen to talk about. A digital story slide show might be useful for students to do story telling this way because they can personalize their story using their own personal photos/experiences. Students will also feel satisfaction that a project they made on the computer is able to be projected on the screen in class for classmates to see, or can be embedded in a blog so that parents can see the work a student made in school. Digital stories can also be worked on in class at the school computer lab or finished up at home on the student’s personal computer because all of the information is on a website. Also digital story telling can be useful because students do not have to take the project apart like other previous photo projects (such as putting the photos back into the photo album) because the digital stories just use copies of the photos versus the actual photos.
When it comes to talking about my likes/dislikes about PhotoPeach Slideshare, I have to say that I really loved the technology. With PhotoPeach you can upload pictures straight from you laptop’s photo database and do not have to go through the extra step of uploading your pictures to a Flikr like database. Also PhotoPeach allows you to add music by searching Youtube for songs and instrumentals to use so that you have more of a range of songs to choose from rather than the tunes they provide. PhotoPeach also has a page where you can very easily put the photos in the correct order and add text in different formats to each slide. After you have finished the slide show PhotoPeach is also very easy when it comes to publishing and sharing your slideshow. There are icons at the side of the slideshow that offer step-by-step ways to share your slideshow on twitter, myspace, facebook, e-mail, and others online communications. PhotoPeach also allows you to make your slideshow public on the PhotoPeach website so other members can view your work! The only thing I did not like about PhotoPeach was that it automatically saved your work versus there being a save button for the user to manually save work. Personally I just feel more safe if there is a save button there for me to hit.

2 comments:

  1. Your trip to the Harry Potter Park looks like it was a lot of fun! I never even knew that park existed. I also used PhotoPeach to create my digital story. I thought it was very user-friendly. I liked how it just took you through the process of creating the story step-by-step. I never got confused or frustrated, which usually happens. This is a technology that I would like to use again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really cool to see your trip of the park through a slideshow. PhotoPeach sounds like a fun and simple way to create a digital story. I'm glad you wrote about how simple it was to upload music to the show, as that is something that I found difficult/confusing to do with my digital story. I'll have to check out PhotoPeach next.

    ReplyDelete